The Central Island Studio Tour is an ever-evolving opportunity for creators and consumers to connect!
NEXT TOUR: MAY 5, 6 & 7 2017
A studio tour is a terrific opportunity to showcase - and sell - your work in your natural habitat.
We are pleased to coordinate and promote this opportunity for our members, and bring artists and consumers together in a personal, intimate way.
The tour is open to all professional and emerging artists from Parksville to Campbell River. It is an exciting adventure for visitors, and when you open your studio and provide an inside glimpse you have a chance to create friends (and customers) for life. We encourage you to make an "event" of it right in your own studio - offer treats, demonstrate your process, provide plenty of choices for purchase (smaller items are a great introduction to new art), bring in a performer... do something special and have some fun!
... see below to get on the list for registration announcements.
The spring tour runs May 5, 6 & 7 2017.
4pm-9pm May 5, 10am-5pm May 6 & 7.
Participation in all three days is required.
STUDIO REGISTRATION is currently closed. The next Arts Guide intake will start in June. You are welcome and encouraged to become a member in the meantime and start taking advantage of the other opportunities we create throughout the year to grow your audience and build your business as a creative professional.
- You must be a current member of the Comox Valley Community Arts Council to participate. If you require a membership($40/yr), click here.
- Artists who do not have public studios of their own are encouraged to collaborate with those who do. We encourage "pop-up" studio/galleries, too!
- Non-profit & artist-run galleries or collective studios are eligible to participate, but you MUST have artists in attendance to discuss their work.
Commercial galleries, gift stores and other privately-owned businesses may not participate.
CVA will provide:
- Extensive coverage and promotion of the event through established traditional and online media
- Social media promotion and sharing tools on all artist bios & event postings
- Professionally designed & produced signage suitable for all-weather, multi-year use
- Professionally designed tour map, distributed throughout vancouver island!
- Professionally designed website with extended artist information and individual galleries, interactive map and downloadable maps & listings
- One hosted meet & greet among participating artists
- General Public Liability insurance coverage (eg. if someone were to be injured on the tour. DOES NOT cover loss or damage to your work or premises)
- Commit to opening their studio for the posted hours of the tour.
- Promote the tour to their social media & personal networking channels
- Post signage and carry maps/brochures for 1 month prior to tour (provided by CVA)
- Assist with distribution of materials within their local neighbourhood
- Provide demo/refreshments/entertainment - whatever you wish - to engage your visitors
- Be responsible for making their studio as visible as possible on the weekend of the tour. This may include embellishments or additional signage as artist feels necessary.
- Commit to communicate with tour organizers by email, and endeavour to respond to tour organizer in a timely manner
- If necessary, ensure CVA is listed as named insured if Artist carries business/commercial insurance for studio
Listing is in both print & web. Print listing includes 1 small photo or logo, short description, address, website & phone number. Web listing on CentralIslandTour.com is self-editable, and essentially unlimited in content scope (numerous photos, video, links, social media, bios, etc). Groups may share a listing, or each artist may purchase their own listing.
This tour is supported by The Comox Valley Record, What's On Digest, and The Province of B.C. to help us leverage our promotional budget and significantly expand our reach outside the region of the tour. Previous tours have indicated visitors from the lower mainland, lower island and Alberta - we aim to bring more of them to your doors.
Additional display and web advertising opportunities are available separately.
Studios joining the tour for the first time will require signage. You will receive a separate email/link for that order once we have received your registration. Basic studio marker is $36, additional signage options are available. Signs are reused on each tour, so it is generally only necessary to buy them once.
After registration is closed, all participating studios/artists will receive a website login for CentralIslandTour.com to create/edit your tour profile. This will be prefilled with your basic listing info.
Things to think about if you've never participated in a Studio Tour before:
Awesome reasons to do it:
- Generation of revenue
- Exposure to a new audience
- Keep-established clients abreast of current work
- Educate a broad audience about your media, showing techniques to interested people
- Break down barriers by allowing the artist and the public direct and immediate interaction and communication
- As an information gathering/list-building tool
- Networking: Connecting with other artists and professionals, in and outside of your Medium
- Introduce your work to possible collectors, galleries or curators
- If you have local gallery representation you might have contractual issues
- Artists who are uncomfortable in public situations may find such an event unappealing. Giving the public access to an artist’s workspace can, for some, be an unsettling experience.
- Some studios may be dangerous or unhealthy places for the public. If you use chemicals or delicate equipment, this may apply to you.
- Artist or maker has no need/desire to expand clientele or investigate new demographics.
- You will need to tidy up your studio 🙂