The Call for Submissions to world renowned Sooke Fine Arts Show is now open – closing midnight, May 25, 2021.
All artwork submitted to SFAS must be of a high calibre and display a good understanding of the chosen medium. Artwork must be the original creation of the artist with an emphasis on technical ability as well as artistic accomplishment. Each year SFAS strives to produce a fresh, original show. Work that is inventive, displays creativity and shows a fresh perspective is encouraged.
It is essential that all artists read the Submission Guidelines prior to submitting, as work that does not meet the listed requirements will not be adjudicated.
The show welcomes artists resident (full-time and part-time) on any of BC’s coastal islands, including Vancouver Island, the Gulf Islands and Haida Gwaii. Between 300-380 pieces in a variety of mediums will be chosen by our jurors for exhibition.
ARTWORK: REQUIREMENTS AND ELIGIBILITY
- Up to three pieces per artist may be submitted. (Diptychs or triptychs are considered one piece). Submission fees are $15 per piece and are not refundable after submissions have closed.
- Artwork must be the original creation of the artist. See “Information on Copyright for the Artist” below.
- Maximum size for 2D artwork (including diptychs and triptychs) is 7’ 6” x 7’ 6” (228cm x 228cm). For 3D works, a maximum of 9’ 0” (108” or 274cm) in height applies.
- Artwork must be completed in the last 18 months, and not have been shown locally in another major, juried art show on BC’s Coastal Islands.
- The Sooke Fine Arts show is both an exhibition and a sale. Artwork must be available for sale at a fair market price (minimum price $350).
- Limited Editions: photographic prints and 3-D cast work (from artist’s originals) are accepted for adjudication in limited editions of not more than 25. Such work must be annotated with the limited edition number, run and process i.e. 2/25, silver gelatine/bronze/cold cast bronze, etc. and must be accompanied by Certificates of Authenticity upon delivery (i.e it is not required at the submission stage). This also applies to work created on a 3-D printer (see computer-generated note below). A piece from a limited edition run will be accepted once for showing at any Sooke Fine Arts Show.
- Hand-pulled engravings, lithographs, and etchings are accepted for adjudication, in limited editions of not more than 30, accompanied by Certificates of Authenticity upon delivery.
- Computer-generated artwork must be entirely original and/or created from the artist’s original work.
- The Sooke Fine Arts Show respects the cultural rights of Indigenous Peoples. It is requested that artists’ work be culturally appropriate in its content and that artists are authorized to use and can provide proof of permission to use Indigenous Peoples motifs/designs in their work.
- Reproductions and copies of 2D work (such as giclées/inkjet/archival ink) will not be accepted for adjudication.
- Work created within workshops/classrooms will not be accepted for adjudication.