“BELONGING AS I AM”
Imagining endless possibilities
Theme: Self portraits, imagining endless possibilities.
“Everything in a wide sense is a kind of a self-portrait. It's just the way you see things and you're curious about certain things and just excited about them”. These words by artist Jurgen Teller express the central theme of our call to artists. We are asking artists to create and submit “self-portraits that speak to the endless possibilities of who you are,” paintings “of you” or “about you” that unabashedly celebrate the wonder of your being, and what you love and are deeply moved by.
People…wonder at the … mountains, the waves of the seas, … and yet they pass by themselves without wondering.
Exhibition: Opens April 28th, 2017 at Christ the King
Exhibit moves to the Grotto for the month of May Some of the art will be exhibited at the opening of the I Belong Centre on Grieve (date to be determined, but likely in June 2017)
Prize one: A $250 gift certificate for art supplies from Benjamin Moore House of Colour
Prize two A $250 gift certificate for art supplies from PJS Art Supplies
Prize three A $150 gift certificate for art supplies from Benjamin Moore House of Colour
People’s Choice:$100 gift certificate for art supplies Benjamin Moore House of Colour
Eligibility: The call is open to any interested artist over the age of 18. Organizers and judges for the program may submit works but will be excluded from all prize awards.
Rules and Guidelines:
- Must be an original work of art appropriate to the theme “Belonging As I Am”
- Must be 2D artwork including digital, media, collage and photography
- not to exceed 36” in any direction
- not to exceed 20 lbs
- Artist must live in the region and be able to attend the event on April 28th
- One entry per artist
- All accepted work must be appropriately framed and/or ready to hang (*see guidelines in submission form)
- Please note that we do not have insurance for loss theft or damage to art submitted. Please insure your art.
How to submit
- Submissions must be received on or before April 13, 2017.
- Submissions will be made via a digital photo in JPEG format (normal size) resolution 4372x2906 file size 2 to 4 MBs (a photo shot with an I-phone will work). Email to : [email protected]
- Artist statement must be included with the submission. The statement should be no more than two – three sentences describing what inspired your piece.
- Include the price of your work (NFS also accepted)
- Submissions must include a completed and signed application form (following page).
Artists will be notified by April 20th, 2017 If their art is accepted. Accepted art must be brought to Christ the King on April 26th between the hours of X and Y.
Judging: Evaluation of the artwork will be based on the following criteria:
- impact of the image
- technique and skill
Submit to: Art of Belonging L’Arche Comox Valley : 1225 C England Avenue, Courtenay, V9N 2P1, BC, Canada
Or Email: [email protected]
More info: Debby Howard 250 897 0295